if you turn and see the people milling, the people who seem to have a purpose and a reason to be there, and you say to yourself, well, how did I get here?
then you should follow these rules:
- It's okay if you just want to sit near the back and if you just want to listen and not ask questions. It's okay if the tap tap tap of your iPad keyboard is rather constant. One reason you're there: to get ideas. It's just fine if that's what you do.
- Does the hobnobbing and social buffeting put you right off? That's all right. There is no hobnob requirement. Steer clear.
- Go ahead, take the ten minutes and eat your breakfast outside. So what if you're ten minutes late. Eat already.
- Do you need to go lie down to gather your wits? Lie down. Gather them. Put that little Do Not Disturb sign on the door.
- Do you feel like you might be a hermit? Or that you might be getting in touch with your inner hermit? No problem. Order in and opt out.
The people, I went to four really interesting sessions today, and my presentation is 90% in order, and I also ate in and worked out. Me and the conference have reached an agreement and I am ready--well 90% ready--for tomorrow.