1. Get out previous drafts, note, freewrites, glyphs.
2. Peruse them.
3. Procrastinate in any number of ways, to wit:
- go buy the scarf that you foolishly didn't buy yesterday because you were feeling sweaty
- wash the sheets
- load the dishwasher
- start reading a book that you recently bought
- download the songs you realized last night that you (a) did not have and (b) needed
- download various free song samplers from Amazon
- recharge and sync iPods to take account of newly downloaded &c.
- eat a cookie
- eat another cookie
- walk the dog
- eat lunch
- inspect the roses and admire the creeping phlox, which is blooming.
4. (optional) take a nap.
5. Re-peruse the materials in 1 above.
6. Check your e-mail, check your blog, check the Huffington Post, check the Fug Girls.
7. Repeat 3, 5, and 6 as necessary.
8. Write the new draft.
In other news, this morning at 6:48 a.m. I let the cat out. At 7:15 a.m., I let her back in, not noticing that she was carrying with her a dead mouse. New method: check cat's mouth in case of vermin transport.