- finding a copy of the Betty Crocker Cook Book c. 1975 at a flea market in eastern Washington.
- finding a copy of the I Hate to Cook Book, c. 1960, which my mom had and which I read with great amusement when I was a kid. (It's ironic, of course, that my mother had this book--she doesn't hate to cook and is in fact a wonderful cook--but the book had its day, and as a piece of humorous writing, it is great--and the recipes are quite hilarious in their own right. But that's another post for another day.)
- finding three dollars in the pocket of my just-washed white jeans.
- finding the shoes that I passed up at DSW three weeks ago (because I had imposed upon myself an absurd two-pair limit), a pair of slate-gray Clarks flats, at the Nordstrom Rack a few days ago.
- coming home from a trip to find that the roses I pruned in March are taller than my head and blooming their heads off.
- discovering that chamomile and lavender together make a lovely and refreshing iced tea.
- I have more books than I have shelves (technically, this isn't a surprise).
- cat vomit on the floor of my study.
- can't sleep, too hot.